The President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition has selected May as National Physical Fitness Month. At Good Days, we’re dedicated to helping people achieve a healthier and happier life and recognize the vital role that physical fitness plays in experiencing more good days, every day.
Here are a few easy ways everyone can participate in National Physical Fitness Month.
First of all, be active. The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommends 30 minutes of physical activity a day for adults, 60 minutes for children, at least five days a week. Sound daunting? It’s much easier than you think, regardless of your current activity level. There are plenty of ways to get moving and some may even surprise you! It’s time to be active, get healthy, and have some fun!
- Walk the dog with the whole family.
- Get off the bus or subway one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- Keep a list of quick activities, like squats or stretches, near the remote so that you can be active during commercial breaks.
- Wash the car.
- Start your day with a morning stretch or end your day with calming yoga.
Second, eat healthy. Everyone can benefit from eating healthy—from controlling your weight to preventing chronic diseases, like heart disease and cancer. Eating healthy at a young age sets kids on the path to a healthy life, but remember, it’s never too late to get started. Here are a few ways to improve your eating habits.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables
- Make half the grains you eat whole grains
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk
- Choose a variety of lean protein foods
- Compare sodium in foods
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks
- Eat some seafood
- Cut back on solid fats
The more you know about your health, the better you’ll feel. At Good Days, we’re dedicated to helping people achieve a healthier and happier life. Helping people live good days, every day. That’s Good Days.
Source: President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition